W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > January to March 2015

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2015-02-19

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 14:26:44 +0000
Message-ID: <54E74424.3020908@w3.org>
To: www-international@w3.org
http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html





text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

19 Feb 2015

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Feb/0010.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, JcK, Steve, Dennis

    Regrets
           Felix, Leandro, Dennis

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [9]qa-no-language update
          6. [10]WebVTT
          7. [11]Linked Data review
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Action Items

    [14]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-113?

    <trackbot> action-113 -- Richard Ishida to Work on tidying up
    Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML & CSS over coming
    couple of months -- due 2015-02-05 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/113

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/113

    richard: aharon responded
    ... hopefully in next couple of weeks take decisison to publish

    action-360?

    <trackbot> action-360 -- Xiaoqian Wu to Survey publishers if
    there are requirements for additional/more specific styles in
    chinese e-books -- due 2014-11-06 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/360

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/360

    action-401?

    <trackbot> action-401 -- Richard Ishida to Send source text for
    "intro to web addresses" to dennis -- due 2015-02-19 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/401

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/401

    richard: converted to html5, fixed some things and sent

    close action-401

    <trackbot> Closed action-401.

    close action-402

    <trackbot> Closed action-402.

    action-404?

    <trackbot> action-404 -- Dennis Tan Tanaka to Check on zwj and
    friends in idna so that we can document in charmod-norm -- due
    2015-02-19 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/404

      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/404

    addison: (summarized)

    jck: point me to relative text to summarize for you?

    [19]http://www.inter-locale.com/w3c/charmod-norm-20150207.html#
    unicodeControls

      [19] 
http://www.inter-locale.com/w3c/charmod-norm-20150207.html#unicodeControls

    action-405?

    <trackbot> action-405 -- Addison Phillips to Ensure "manifest
    for web applications" is reviewd by 5 March -- due 2015-02-26
    -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [20]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/405

      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/405

    [21]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015
    JanMar/0067.html

      [21] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2015JanMar/0067.html

Info Share

    <r12a>
    [22]http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/html5/bidi
    -requirements/results-rli-etc

      [22] 
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/html5/bidi-requirements/results-rli-etc

    richard: bring to your attention that I got around making tests
    for RLI, FSI, etc.
    ... please take a look at the tests if interested
    ... these test dir isolation
    ... we don't have great coverage in browsers
    ... perhaps raise bugs?

    addison: this is for the Unicode control characters, not HTML
    isolation

    richard: right
    ... should replace RLE etc.
    ... needed in things like javascript or in attribute values

    addison: implementation state in icu and which version may be
    driving

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping ICU folks about implementation
    of RLI and friends in ICU, specific version and ask for review
    of tests richard created [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-406 - Ping icu folks about
    implementation of rli and friends in icu, specific version and
    ask for review of tests richard created [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2015-02-26].

RADAR and Active Work Review

    [24]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [24] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    <[25]http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-appmanifest-20150212/>

      [25] http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-appmanifest-20150212/

    due 5 March

    addison: will shepherd and set up tracker

    [26]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

      [26] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    encoding tests

    richard: gaining priority
    ... if anyone wants to work on them...

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: work with richard to draft text and
    then send to www-international a call for tests for encoding
    [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-407 - Work with richard to draft text
    and then send to www-international a call for tests for
    encoding [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-02-26].

qa-no-language update

    JcK: calling out lang independent identifiers
    ... separately from part numbers, and such
    ... don't know how much to say there?

    richard: think my response would be "not trying to be
    exhaustive"
    ... if there were something you wanted to label
    ... how would you do it?
    ... you gave some good examples
    ... when marking up for language
    ... there are many reasons
    ... so for example if you have something in Chinese, you might
    want to mark as Chinese to get the right font
    ... or if you have a spell-checker and you don't want it to
    spell check specific things
    ... or maybe extract things in a language
    ... etc.
    ... and the first question is why you want to mark things up

    (discussion)

    richard: will look at john's note and add examples to article

WebVTT

    richard: was asked specifically if we would review this
    ... in new publication process

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: raise need for formal I18N review
    step in new process on chairs@ [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-408 - Raise need for formal i18n
    review step in new process on chairs@ [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2015-02-26].

    richard: did start reviewing
    ... WebVTT is a spec for adding text to video or audio streams
    ... such as subtitles
    ... needs to support many language
    ... support vertical text
    ... support RTL
    ... etc.
    ... lots of info on where to place the "subtitle"
    ... and what reference points are for e.g. bidi or vertical,
    etc.
    ... some attention paid to language
    ... including internal to a string
    ... maybe a gap: no base direction?

    addison: will open a tracker right after call

    richard: great if we can get eyes on it

    set deadline for two weeks

Linked Data review

    [29]http://www.w3.org/TR/ldpatch/

      [29] http://www.w3.org/TR/ldpatch/

    [30]https://www.w3.org/International/track/products/69

      [30] https://www.w3.org/International/track/products/69

    issue-409?

    <trackbot> issue-409 -- What are the string matching rules in
    the delete operation -- open

    <trackbot> [31]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/409

      [31] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/409

    steve: don't define what it means for a string to "match"
    ... they have e.g. a delete operation
    ... what are the rules for string matching?
    ... does normalization, et al apply?
    ... this is about "patching" RDF graphs

    [32]http://www.w3.org/TR/ldpatch/#delete-statement

      [32] http://www.w3.org/TR/ldpatch/#delete-statement

    issue-410?

    <trackbot> issue-410 -- Language tags should reference BCP 47
    -- open

    <trackbot> [33]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/410

      [33] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/410

    steve: if you scroll to bottom of seciton 3
    ... concrete syntax
    ... they have an element called 'langtag'
    ... defining language tags??

    <r12a> [34]http://www.w3.org/TR/ldpatch/#dfn-langtag

      [34] http://www.w3.org/TR/ldpatch/#dfn-langtag

    addison: should reference obs langtag in bcp47

    richard: should reference bcp47 somewhere

    issue-411?

    <trackbot> issue-411 -- Definition of whitespace should come
    from Unicode -- open

    <trackbot> [35]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/411

      [35] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/411

    richard: define sort of a "best practices" so we can show to
    WGs ahead (rather than correcting later)

    <r12a> [36]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Bp_spec_bidi

      [36] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Bp_spec_bidi

    <r12a>
    [37]http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs
    -dynamic

      [37] 
http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs-dynamic

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: add creation of best practices for
    spec authors to project radar [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-409 - Add creation of best practices
    for spec authors to project radar [on Addison Phillips - due
    2015-02-26].

    <scribe> chair: make wg comments?

    none noted

    remove provisional

    <r12a>
    [39]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

      [39] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: add creation of best practices for spec
    authors to project radar [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping ICU folks about implementation of
    RLI and friends in ICU, specific version and ask for review of
    tests richard created [recorded in
    [41]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: raise need for formal I18N review step
    in new process on chairs@ [recorded in
    [42]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: work with richard to draft text and then
    send to www-international a call for tests for encoding
    [recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/19-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Friday, 20 February 2015 14:26:53 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 21 September 2016 22:37:38 UTC