W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2015

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2015-06-25

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 17:05:21 +0100
Message-ID: <558C26C1.9080208@w3.org>
To: www-international@w3.org
http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-i18n-minutes.html




text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

25 Jun 2015

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Jun/0026.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           David, John, Klensin, Addison, r12a, Steve, felix,
           david, Leandro, koji

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           aphillip

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [9]Republish Korean Layout doc
          6. [10]Publication Process Change
          7. [11]Respond about Mediastream Track label
          8. [12]bidi in plain text
             http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html
          9. [13]AOB?
      * [14]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Action Items

    action-113?

    <trackbot> action-113 -- Richard Ishida to Work on tidying up
    Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML & CSS over coming
    couple of months -- due 2015-02-05 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/113

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/113

    richard: will have a look at it. will proceed without aharon

    action-358?

    <trackbot> action-358 -- Felix Sasaki to Retire requirements
    for its 2.0 -- due 2014-11-06 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/358

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/358

    felix, any update?

    close action-421

    <trackbot> Closed action-421.

    action-444?

    <trackbot> action-444 -- Addison Phillips to Write to w3
    parties requesting that the publication tool be updated to
    support note track documents after richard identifiers who to
    ping -- due 2015-06-04 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/444

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/444

    richard: did have conversation with the tools folks

    <r12a> [18]https://github.com/w3c/echidna/issues/197

      [18] https://github.com/w3c/echidna/issues/197

    richard: system guys talking to plh about what to do, so you
    could add something to the above issue
    ... as the chair

    action-446?

    <trackbot> action-446 -- Richard Ishida to Ask ivan about his
    experience with using github issues and best practices and
    report back -- due 2015-06-11 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/446

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/446

    close action-446

    <trackbot> Closed action-446.

Info Share

    richard: unicode 8 released
    ... includes lots of stuff, 6 new script blocks, skin tones
    ... uniview updated
    ... > 28000 images * 2 to cover all non-Han ideographs
    ... welcome to use them to show a character in a document
    ... under some kind of cc license

    <r12a> [20]http://rishida.io/scripts/links

      [20] http://rishida.io/scripts/links

    richard: fwiw, have pointers to info about scripts
    ... updated to include all unicode 8
    ... includes typographic and layout requirements that I know of
    ... if you have any other info, **please** let me know!

RADAR and Active Work Review

    [21]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    steve: vehicle info ones too please

    richard: changes to counter style spec were related to chinese
    and maybe hebrew
    ... when outside the range
    ... like up to 9999
    ... but some people said they implemented beyond that
    ... so changed to say you could implement if you want to
    ... but doesn't say how
    ... "implementation specific styles" beyond that
    ... changed our tests with respect to that as well
    ... dennis sent me updates to his actions
    ... will put somewhere public

    [22]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

      [22] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    chinese layout requirements

    richard: just a bit more translation

    addison: in a week or so?

    richard: hope so but depends on others

    ruby

    richard: FF now has great support for not only markup but the
    styling
    ... going from almost no support to leading support
    ... check it out

    vertical text

    koji: long controversial topic about sideways-left
    ... we would like to solve the concern
    ... there will be some changes around that
    ... basic concern is that sideways-left can apply inline as
    well as blocks
    ... and affects baseline
    ... and logical direction
    ... can to to top or right, depends on line
    ... dbaron said "it's a little complex"
    ... so trying to solve that
    ... text-orientation sideways is hard for authors to understand
    accoring to richard
    ... trying to solve that too

Republish Korean Layout doc

    [23]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015J
    un/0020.html

      [23] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Jun/0020.html

    richard: ported spec to respec
    ... partially localized respec

    <r12a> [24]http://www.w3.org/TR/klreq/

      [24] http://www.w3.org/TR/klreq/

    richard: above is current TR version

    <r12a> [25]http://w3c.github.io/klreq/

      [25] http://w3c.github.io/klreq/

    richard: above is English version

    <r12a> [26]http://w3c.github.io/klreq/ko/

      [26] http://w3c.github.io/klreq/ko/

    richard: above is Korean version
    ... would like to publlish the above to TR so that the these
    are on TR
    ... and including pointer to github issues

    <fsasaki> +1 to publish

    <scribe> chair: resolve to publish new version of Korean Layout
    Requirements?

    <Leandro> +1

    +1

    <David> +1

    <Steve_Atkin> Steve +1

    <r12a> +1

    <JcK> +1

    <koji> +1

    <scribe> chair: so resolved

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish updated version of KLReq
    [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-447 - Publish updated version of
    klreq [on Richard Ishida - due 2015-07-02].

Publication Process Change

    [28]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015J
    un/0025.html

      [28] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Jun/0025.html

    <r12a>
    [29]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015J
    un/0019.html

      [29] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Jun/0019.html

    richard: main thing is to not do what we just did... ;-)
    ... remove need to make formal resolution to publish
    ... so that the github version and TR version track closely
    ... the reason to do that is so that users review TR version
    ... because TR is dated
    ... and can scroll back to see what the text specifically was
    ... so asking that the WG agree that editors can publish at any
    time without approval of WG
    ... this would apply to working drafts *only*
    ... could update daily (more likely every couple of weeks)
    ... when editor is ready
    ... First Public or Note publication would require WG approval
    ... just about keeping TR in sync with github version
    ... process proposal also says that suggestions can be put on
    github branches before merging

    <scribe> chair: do you support (+1) or not support (-1)
    proposal to change our default publication process to not
    require WG approval for editors to update TR from github
    version

    <koji> +1

    +1

    <r12a> +1

    <Leandro> +1

    <fsasaki> +1

    <David> +1

    <Steve_Atkin> +1

    <JcK> +1 (with more confidence than on the last vote)

    <scribe> chair: so resolved

Respond about Mediastream Track label

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write a proposal to the working group
    for options in handling language and direction metadata in
    cases such as mediastream labels [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-448 - Write a proposal to the working
    group for options in handling language and direction metadata
    in cases such as mediastream labels [on Addison Phillips - due
    2015-07-02].

bidi in plain text
[31]http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html

      [31] http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html

    richard: this addresses above item a bit
    ... looking at csv spec
    ... and looking at webvtt stuff again
    ... like json and other plain text
    ... how do you deal with plain text
    ... for direction and language

    <r12a>
    [32]http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html

      [32] http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html

    richard: started writing article above
    ... have a section about csv
    ... could have other sections about other formats
    ... what are possibilities, etc.

    addison: best practices and guidance for spec authors?

    richard: assign an action to the wg to read and discuss

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: remind WG membership to read and be
    ready to discuss
    [33]http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html
    [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

      [33] http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-449 - Remind wg membership to read
    and be ready to discuss
    [35]http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html [on
    Addison Phillips - due 2015-07-02].

      [35] http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: ask Dom to change settings to notify
    of all traffic on our issues via email [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-450 - Ask dom to change settings to
    notify of all traffic on our issues via email [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2015-07-02].

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: remind WG membership to read and be
    ready to discuss
    [37]http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html
    [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write a proposal to the working group
    for options in handling language and direction metadata in
    cases such as mediastream labels [recorded in
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: ask Dom to change settings to notify of
    all traffic on our issues via email [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish updated version of KLReq
    [recorded in
    [41]http://www.w3.org/2015/06/25-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [37] http://r12a.github.io/docs/bidi-plain-text/index.html

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 25 June 2015 16:05:30 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:08 UTC