[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2015-04-16


text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

16 Apr 2015



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/04/16-i18n-irc


           Addison, Richard, David, Leandro

           Felix, Dennis, JcK

           Addison Phillips



      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [9]changes to Korean Layout Requirements
          6. [10]Publish WD of Language Tags and Locale Identifiers
          7. [11]Counter Style Note naming
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items


Action Items


      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> action-366 -- Richard Ishida to Identify categories
    non-controversial for line-breaking to support i18n-issue-316
    in css3-text -- due 2014-11-07 -- OPEN


      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/366

    richard: perhaps close this
    ... run at it in a different direction
    ... writing to Indic folks and point out not enabled things
    ... please send requirements
    ... similar thing for cl req folks

    close action-366

    <trackbot> Closed action-366.

    richard: did move line break tests to new repository

    close action-419

    <trackbot> Closed action-419.

    richard: encoding

    close action-422

    <trackbot> Closed action-422.

    close action-427

    <trackbot> Closed action-427.

    close action-429

    <trackbot> Closed action-429.


    <trackbot> action-429 -- Richard Ishida to Publish new wd of
    korean layout requirements -- due 2015-04-16 -- CLOSED


      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/429

    richard: published yesterday and did announcement!

    close action-430

    <trackbot> Closed action-430.


    <trackbot> action-430 -- Richard Ishida to Contact editors of
    klreq for comments and seeking additional support -- due
    2015-04-16 -- CLOSED


      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/430

    richard: they didn't respond, may need to look for new

    close action-431

    <trackbot> Closed action-431.


    <trackbot> action-431 -- Richard Ishida to Send new message to
    www-international looking for a name for our counter styles
    note -- due 2015-04-16 -- CLOSED


      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/431


    <trackbot> action-432 -- Addison Phillips to Amend our tpac wbs
    to request a room for tpac -- due 2015-04-16 -- OPEN


      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/432

    addison: did that. requested a room

    close action-432

    <trackbot> Closed action-432.

    close action-433

    <trackbot> Closed action-433.


      [20] http://w3c.github.io/ltli/

Info Share

    richard: w3c is doing online courses on how to use html5
    ... something like 38000 registered users
    ... reviewed some of the materials about i18n

    <scribe> ... new section "web for all"

    richard: includes horizontal things including
    ... make some tweaks
    ... and helped with further information section
    ... don't know if I can make material available to WG
    ... more work may be needed

RADAR and Active Work Review


      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar


      [22] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    encoding spec

    richard: disposition of comments for CR



    richard: need to decide which are substantive

    klreq no longer erroenously labeled and has new location in


    richard: lots of github traffic
    ... much more than when using email
    ... discussions about whether to use github issues rather than
    ... something to think about
    ... main thing holding us up now is translation to english
    ... english version is quite a lot larger, but still working
    ... hope to finish by month's end

    test development

    richard: submitted counter styles tests
    ... they were merged
    ... have in new i18n test repo
    ... pull request for text transform tests
    ... next up: writing mode tests

    mlweb workshop

    29 April

    richard: may be last one
    ... needs organizer if to continue

changes to Korean Layout Requirements

    richard: need to find more korean participants?

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write to klreq editors seeking
    response on current edits and possible future participation
    [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-434 - Write to klreq editors seeking
    response on current edits and possible future participation [on
    Addison Phillips - due 2015-04-23].

    richard: need to:
    ... 1. answer comments
    ... 2. edit korean and english versions
    ... 3. consider additional work
    ... 4. agree on what will happen long term
    ... give a deadline

    published new WD


      [25] http://www.w3.org/TR/klreq/

    richard: note that korean version has NOT changed and is out of

Publish WD of Language Tags and Locale Identifiers (LTLI)


      [26] http://w3c.github.io/ltli/


      [27] http://www.w3.org/TR/ltli/

    richard: can just publish and fix on a regular basis?

    leandro: no objections, concern that some sections are empty
    ... any analytics on our publications such as number of hits
    ... ?

    richard: don't know, but mainly answer is "no"

    addison: will fix emoji in acks

    <scribe> chair: any objections to publishing a new WD?

    <r12a> no

    addison: no

    <Leandro> -1?

    <Leandro> no :)

    <scribe> chair: so resolved

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish new WD of LTLI [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-435 - Publish new wd of ltli [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2015-04-23].

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: send richard flat version of LTLI for
    publication [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-436 - Send richard flat version of
    ltli for publication [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-04-23].

Counter Style Note naming

    richard: liked "custom counter styles"
    ... custom counter styles for international content

    <r12a> Custom Counter Styles for International Content

    Counter Style Definitions for Scripts of the World

    richard: do we change the short name too??
    ... need to inquire how


    <r12a> [30]https://github.com/w3c/ltli/commits/gh-pages

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/ltli/commits/gh-pages

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: send richard flat version of LTLI for
    publication [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write to klreq editors seeking response
    on current edits and possible future participation [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish new WD of LTLI [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 23 April 2015 15:32:19 UTC