[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2014-09-18


Text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

18 Sep 2014



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/09/18-i18n-irc


           Addison, Richard, Dennis, Felix, Koji, Mati, Xiaoqian

           JcK, Leandro

           Addison Phillips

           Addison Phillips


      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]What Time is this Meeting At?
          5. [9]Report on China Layout Requirements
          6. [10]Unencoded Scripts
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items


Action Items


      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> action-252 -- Felix Sasaki to Ping dita folks about
    contacting html5 about ruby progress -- due 2013-09-05 -- OPEN


      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/252

    close action-340

    <trackbot> Closed action-340.


    <trackbot> action-344 -- Addison Phillips to Respond to css on
    issue-334 -- due 2014-09-18 -- OPEN


      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/344


    <trackbot> issue-334 -- 'letter-spacing' and Indic -- open

    <trackbot> [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/334

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/334

Info Share

    addison: welcomes new member Dennis Tan Tanaka

    DTan: work for verisign and working on IDN

    xiaoqian: my first call
    ... glad to help with issues related to chinese culture

    richard: published Encoding as CR on Tuesday



      [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Sep/0240.html

    richard: surprising thing happened
    ... dave hyatt at apple implementing bopomofo ruby
    ... works in nightly
    ... a few wrinkles yet to fix
    ... some test cases in the link, etc.

    fsasaki: considering dates of new MLWeb workshop

    <fsasaki> 27.4 - 29.4

    fsasaki: 27 to 29 april
    ... reserve the time if you wish to attend

    <Najib-ma> What are the chenges between the two spec W3C and

    there are no differences other than the style and fixing the
    reference links



    richard: tests for single byte encodings so far
    ... added android chrome mobile, safari mobile, and uc browser

    <scribe> Agenda: RADAR


      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

What Time is this Meeting At?

    <matial> Nope, 1 hour earleir

    <matial> You cannot keep the wall time for both hemispheres

    <matial> Pls give times as UTC



    Addison to make proposals

Report on China Layout Requirements

    richard: talked to cindy earlier and asked for update on the
    workshop last week

    xiaoqian: want to share news about chinese
    ... most people speak "chinese"
    ... but many minority languages

    <xiaoqian> [21]http://www.chinaw3c.org/layout-workshop.html

      [21] http://www.chinaw3c.org/layout-workshop.html

    xiaoqian: you can find agenda above
    ... richard gave keynote about i18n wg
    ... Bobby Tung gave another about why we need that as well

    <xiaoqian> simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Tibetan,
    Uighur, Mongolian

    xiaoqian: monogolian folks were very well prepared



    xiaoqian: in afternoon major digitial publishers
    ... shared concerns about progress on web
    ... all major players agreed that having a task force in w3c
    ... separate into chinese and then minority languages
    ... also visited chinese browser vendors
    ... both very interested in having features in their products
    ... and international framework in their mobile products
    ... agreed to provide more details

    richard: quite a good result
    ... mongolian guys were most positive and prepared
    ... uighur script should interface at some point with arabic
    ... planning to contact people
    ... and hope to make slides available in English
    ... as a small starting point
    ... cindy also working on chinese ruby information
    ... in early draft phase
    ... big thing in the week
    ... seeing team using mobile devices all the time
    ... and made changes in the test framework
    ... wechat and UCWeb interested in test suites and i18n checker
    ... need to think more about mobile use cases

    addison: different "chinese" languages not all the same: can be
    separate documents or mail lists etc... or not

    xiaoqian: maybe separate into different groups as not all
    people speak Chinese that well

    richard: talk to PLH

    addison: very much want this information! glad to see this.

Unencoded Scripts

    <r12a> thanks Cindy for the report !




    koji: css3 text... currently 5 open issues
    ... but maybe I missed some open items?

    addison: (discusses issue mentiones previously)

    richard: on indic layout requirements
    ... they want to do FPWD
    ... think we should look at the document
    ... some structural comments
    ... maybe some gaps

    <koji> [24]http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/products/10

      [24] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/products/10

    <r12a> [25]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/2

      [25] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/2


    <trackbot> action-343 -- Richard Ishida to Reply to css text
    issues listed in linked email in minutes with satisfaction (if
    satisfied) -- due 2014-09-18 -- OPEN


      [26] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/343

    <koji> [27]http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text/issues-lc-2013

      [27] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text/issues-lc-2013

    koji: fantasai also manages a list in a text file (see above)

    richard: predefined counter styles item?



    richard: interesting question
    ... ff supports all 120
    ... so you wouldn't need to define it in ff
    ... but no other browsers do that, so maybe confuses users

    addison: if not all browsers implement
    ... then you still have to put into your stylesheet
    ... which makes the browser implementation pointless?

    koji: are you suggesting FF should remove?

    richard: not sure
    ... my recommendation would be "always put into your CSS"
    ... but also not sure if should remove

    koji: in general FF prefers interoperability than doing better
    than other browsers
    ... also john said we don't want to keep increasing the list

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: respond to jonathan's note about
    counter styles [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-345 - Respond to jonathan's note
    about counter styles [on Richard Ishida - due 2014-09-25].

    <matial> Bye

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: richard: respond to jonathan's note about counter
    styles [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Received on Friday, 19 September 2014 05:09:43 UTC