Re: [Encoding] false statement [I18N-ACTION-328][I18N-ISSUE-374]

> On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> On 8/31/2014 11:00 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> It does not just apply to user agents. It's also the case for
>>> developers, specification editors, users, etc.
>> Then fix that part - it's the part that I didn't repeat that had the stuff I
>> thought was more useful in terms of motivating the "irrelevancy".
> Thanks for being patient with me and sorry for misunderstanding the
> first time. How about:
>
> "Due to implementations sufficiently deviating from the encoding
> labels listed in the IANA Character Sets registry and the desire to
> stop legacy encodings from spreading further, this specification is
> exhaustive about all these details and thereby renders the registry
> irrelevant."

Anne,

Three sentences are better than one:

"Over time, implementations have deviated from the encoding labels listed
in the IANA character set registry. In a desire to stop legacy encodings
from
spreading further, this specification is exhaustive about <all these
details>.
As a result, implementations of this specification can ignore the registry."

and I would like to make <all these details> more explicit, but I'm
afraid, I
don't quite know what to substitute. Is it just the labels for the encodings
or also their detailed specifications? My take is, it's worth spelling
this out.

A./