Re: [Encoding] false statement [I18N-ACTION-328][I18N-ISSUE-374]

Anne and John

Your comments read as brutal and elitist.

Do you have any idea of how long it takes to prepare and shepard through a
Unicode proposal? How much work and resources it can take?

The communities that need Unicode support don't necessarily have the
resources or expertise to prepare the proposals.

Recently a proposal went to UTC to disunify some charactrrs in the Myanmar
block. The proposal was rightly rejected.

I had a chat to one of the authors of that proposal. What was interesting
was the reason for preparing the proposal in the first place.

Essentially the problem was web browsers were precieved to have problems
with displaying content in the languages in question.

Essentially they were trying to get changes in unicode because of
deficiences in web browsers.

Most cases I know for use of what you refer to as hacks did not occur
specifically because of lack of support of language in Unicode. It came as
a specific consequence of lack of support in web browsers.

Lets be honest here. It is easier to get unicode to add support than it is
to get web browsers to add support.

Andrew