W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2014

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2014-08-28

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:17:44 +0100
Message-ID: <54003728.1080809@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html






Text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

28 Aug 2014

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2014Aug/0044.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Leandro, JcK, David

    Regrets
           Felix

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Review RADAR
          5. [9]Encoding LC
          6. [10]IRI and miscelleny
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Action Items

    [13]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close action-327

    <trackbot> Closed action-327.

    close action-331

    <trackbot> Closed action-331.

    close action-333

    <trackbot> Closed action-333.

Info Share

    richard: just this second
    ... uploaded a new indic layout requirements draft
    ... published new pre-defined counter styles
    ... so look at that if interested as well

    <r12a> [14]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/indic-layout/

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/docs/indic-layout/

    <r12a> [15]http://www.w3.org/TR/predefined-counter-styles/

      [15] http://www.w3.org/TR/predefined-counter-styles/

    richard: on 7th of sept going to china
    ... meeting about chinese layout requirements
    ... includes minority language
    ... community members

Review RADAR

    [16]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

Encoding LC

    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html

    richard: logistical issues publishing if I'm traveling the 7th
    ... will have a call with PLH, requires addison also
    ... need to close off all issues

    <r12a>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-355

      [18] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-355

    <r12a> verified ok

    <r12a>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-371

      [19] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-371

    (discussion of 371)

    richard: write back to Martin and check if he is now satisfied

    addison: will do

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write back to martin to verify
    satisfaction on encoding 371 [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-334 - Write back to martin to verify
    satisfaction on encoding 371 [on Addison Phillips - due
    2014-09-04].

    <r12a>
    [21]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-372

      [21] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-372

    addison: nudge martin on 372 also

    <r12a>
    [22]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-373

      [22] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-373

    richard: probably count as verified

    <r12a> ACTION: Richard to note that 373 is verified [recorded
    in [23]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-335 - Note that 373 is verified [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2014-09-04].

    [24]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-374

      [24] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-374

    [25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2014J
    ulSep/0195.html

      [25] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2014JulSep/0195.html

    leandro: will contact larry masinter to follow up
    ... send you the email

    [26]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-26256

      [26] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-26256

    <r12a>
    [27]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-26256

      [27] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-26256

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write to josh bell to confirm
    satisfaction on 26256 [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-336 - Write to josh bell to confirm
    satisfaction on 26256 [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-09-04].

    <r12a>
    [29]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-385

      [29] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-385

    [30]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-385

      [30] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-385

    richard: done, spec changed
    ... ask Ken if any objections?

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write back to Ken+Unicode+PLH to
    confirm satisfaction on 386 [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-337 - Write back to ken+unicode+plh
    to confirm satisfaction on 386 [on Addison Phillips - due
    2014-09-04].

    <r12a>
    [32]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-26154

      [32] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-26154

    <scribe> ACTION: write to anne on 26154 for status [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Error finding 'write'. You can review and register
    nicknames at <[34]http://www.w3.org/International/track/users>.

      [34] http://www.w3.org/International/track/users%3E.

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write to anne 26154 for sstatus
    [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action06]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-338 - Write to anne 26154 for sstatus
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-09-04].

    <r12a>
    [36]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-xxx

      [36] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-xxx

    richard: ralph swick mentioned first
    ... as an issue andrew raised
    ... write ot andrew offline
    ... he was much clearer in his response
    ... he was of opinion that we should close
    ... wrote back to get quote from him
    ... not yet replied

    <r12a> [37]http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1129

      [37] http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1129

    richard: that's a link you can read that sort of covers it

    addison: orthogonal because it is all utf-8

    <r12a> here's my take on whether this is an issue: thank you
    for raising this issue, which is well worth noting, however the
    Encoding spec is attempting to document and make interoperable
    current browser support for non-Unicode encodings (it only
    refers to a subset of the current non-Unicode encodings), and
    and otherwise persuade everyone to move to correct use of UTF-8
    encoded Unicode. For that reason, addressing the concerns you
    raise would be out of scope for the spec.

    addison: call it out of scope

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: follow up further with andrew to
    confirm that issue-xxx is out of scope [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action07]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-339 - Follow up further with andrew
    to confirm that issue-xxx is out of scope [on Richard Ishida -
    due 2014-09-04].

    addison: any outside concerns we're missing?

    richard: don't think so

    jck: john cowan pointed out that there are developing
    practices, particuarly for unencoded minority languages
    ... something to be aware of

    richard: get unicode to say something?

    jck: getting them to say something would be best
    ... respond to cowan that way?
    ... and copy ken/mark?

    richard: addison/self can raise at unicode ed comm.

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: raise unencoded scripts issue with
    unicode [recorded in
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action08]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-340 - Raise unencoded scripts issue
    with unicode [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-09-04].

    [40]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-26646

      [40] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-26646

    richard: I am satisfied

    [41]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-26655

      [41] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-26655

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write to mathis bynens for
    satisfaction on 26655 [recorded in
    [42]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action09]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-341 - Write to mathis bynens for
    satisfaction on 26655 [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-09-04].

    [43]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.
    html#issue-26685

      [43] 
http://www.w3.org/International/docs/encoding/encoding-doc.html#issue-26685

    richard: no intent to raise a formal objection

    addison: encoding next items

    These bugs existed before the Last Call, mostly for quite a
    long time before. Anne does not expect to resolve any
    outstanding bugs in this list before mid September. He believes
    that too much research and work is involved. These, then, where
    not closed, are items to be considered for Encoding.next.

    addison: any objection to our resolution on these?

    richard: next steps
    ... 1. close down issues
    ... 2. agree transition review date
    ... 3. week before richard to send transition request
    ... 4. prepare
    ... 5. transition review
    ... 6. then announce (assuming survival of 5)
    ... some new versions of martin's tests
    ... spent a large part of weekend on them

    <r12a> Links to new tests for single-byte encodings:

    <r12a>
    [44]http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/encoding/i
    ndexes/results-indexes.en.php

      [44] 
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/encoding/indexes/results-indexes.en.php

    richard: shows where browsers pass/fail
    ... ibm866 not passing for chrome and
    ... chrome plans to fix
    ... orange stuff in ff column
    ... bug raised against mozilla
    ... expect them to fix
    ... only remaining issue is IE

    <r12a>
    [45]http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/encoding/i
    ndexes/results-aliases

      [45] 
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/encoding/indexes/results-aliases

    richard: shouldn't prevent us transitiontion
    ... also produced the above
    ... also tests all of the aliases
    ... apart from IE, pretty good
    ... rewrote martins tests, so now different from his original
    tests

    leandro: did you see response from larry

    richard: will try again

IRI and miscelleny

    [46]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/IRIStatus

      [46] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/IRIStatus

    richard: lots of folks looking at it

    jck: could be controversial in same was as encoding

    richard: should sync with url folks
    ... dan applequist

    <r12a> esp Daniel Appelquist

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write to Daniel Appelquist about IRI
    wiki page seeking input [recorded in
    [47]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action10]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-342 - Write to daniel appelquist
    about iri wiki page seeking input [on Addison Phillips - due
    2014-09-04].

    leandro: will look at it

AOB?

    richard: jens asserts that machines should do language
    detection
    ... will respond, challenging the basis of his argument

    <r12a>
    [48]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2014JulSep/0
    136.html

      [48] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2014JulSep/0136.html

    <r12a> [49]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/62

      [49] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/62

    [50]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/384

      [50] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/384

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: raise unencoded scripts issue with
    unicode [recorded in
    [51]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action08]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write back to Ken+Unicode+PLH to confirm
    satisfaction on 386 [recorded in
    [52]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write back to martin to verify
    satisfaction on encoding 371 [recorded in
    [53]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write to anne 26154 for sstatus
    [recorded in
    [54]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write to Daniel Appelquist about IRI
    wiki page seeking input [recorded in
    [55]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action10]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write to josh bell to confirm
    satisfaction on 26256 [recorded in
    [56]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write to mathis bynens for satisfaction
    on 26655 [recorded in
    [57]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action09]
    [NEW] ACTION: Richard to note that 373 is verified [recorded in
    [58]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: follow up further with andrew to confirm
    that issue-xxx is out of scope [recorded in
    [59]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action07]
    [NEW] ACTION: write to anne on 26154 for status [recorded in
    [60]http://www.w3.org/2014/08/28-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Friday, 29 August 2014 08:18:17 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 21 September 2016 22:37:38 UTC