From: mark.edward.davis@gmail.com [mailto:mark.edward.davis@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Mark Davis ?
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 2:16 PM
To: Larry Masinter
Cc: Andre Schappo; www International; Don Hollander; public-iri@w3.org
Subject: Re: Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs

If you mean having the DNS system natively accept %xx for domain labels as well as Punycode, I suspect that that ship has long since sailed. (That was one of the options discussed, but was turned down because of the length limitations.)

If on the other hand, you mean that client software should accept %xx notation as well as straight Unicode and punycode, that is another story. That can be handled by a client-side mapping, permitted by either IDNA2008 or UTS46. (And I agree that it's a good idea.)

With that, I could type in my address bar any of:

  1.  xn--idna--x-l6c.blogspot.com<http://xn--idna--x-l6c.blogspot.com>
  2.  IDNA-ȿ-x.blogspot.com<http://xn--idna--x-l6c.blogspot.com>
  3.  IDNA-%C8%BF-x.blogspot.com<http://BF-x.blogspot.com>
  4.  IDNA-Ȿ-X.BLOGSPOT.COM<http://xn--idna--x-lt7e.BLOGSPOT.COM>
  5.  IDNA-%E2%B1%BE-X.BLOGSPOT.COM<http://BE-X.BLOGSPOT.COM>
And they'd all resolve to xn--idna--x-l6c.blogspot.com<http://xn--idna--x-l6c.blogspot.com>.

  1.  I just checked on Chrome, and all of these work.
  2.  Firefox is a bit odd: if I type in the #3, it fails; *but* it converts it in the address bar, so a subsequent enter goes to the right place. #4/#5 just fail.
  3.  Don't know about other browsers.

Mark<https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —