Re: [inline bidi update] - Some comments

This is not a very good example because what the document says will be
inserted as a single phrase, with a single span around it. Thus, the
mark-up one would expect for this example is either:

Or, at most:

Both would work with isolation.

A better example for your objection would be:

This might be the result when the first and last names of a person are
stored as separate fields in a database. One certainly wants to get "john
doe", but isolation would result in "doe john".

We claim that using the markup above is not a good practice anyway, even
though it may have worked up to now. If the overall direction of the name
as a whole is important, and it is, it should be declared explicitly, e.g.:

NAME: <span dir="ltr">john doe</span>

Note that the "let it stick" approach does not work once we introduce
nicknames into the equation, and allow nicknames to be in a different
script than the first and last names:

will display (with or without isolation) as

doe "NANAHOY" john :EMAN

not as the more desirable

john "NANAHOY" doe :EMAN

The right markup to get the more desirable output has to be

regardless of isolation.