Re: Encoding: Referring people to a list of labels

From: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:25:08 +1100
To: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>, wwwintl <www-international@w3.org>
On 28 January 2014 10:01, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:

> Andrew Cunningham scripsit:
>
> > PUA is a possibility,  although it will have impacts. The PUA in the
> > BMP is heavily used by Microsoft and Apple for legacy data.
>
> As I said before, F000-F0FF is reserved by Microsoft (and also by CSUR)
> for font-kludge encodings such as dingbat fonts:  if you put a dingbat
> into a Word document, for example, the internal representation is as a
> character in this range marked up with the respective font.

Hi John thanks for the correction.

so I assume that browser font fallback behaviour should be different for
F000-F0FF compared to other PUA codepoints.

--
Andrew Cunningham
Project Manager, Research and Development

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Mobile: 0459 806 589
Email: acunningham@slv.vic.gov.au
          lang.support@gmail.com