Re: Encoding: Referring people to a list of labels

From: Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 21:55:40 +0100
To: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com>
Cc: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Andrew Cunningham
<lang.support@gmail.com>wrote:

> >> Most of the cases of contemporary uses of legacy encodings I know of

​I'm not sure what sense of "most" is meant.

If I said "most cases", I'd mean the number of web pages or emails using
that legacy encoding, perhaps weighted by the number of characters in the
page. But the Chinese encodings (as just one example) are many, many orders
of magnitude higher, for example, than any of the ones you mention. So in
what sense do you mean "most"?

FYI, while I don't have recent Google figures, there is
 http://googleblog.blogspot.ch/2012/02/unicode-over-60-percent-of-web.htmland
 http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_overview/character_encoding/ms/y

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*