Re: [Encoding] false statement

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Historically encodings and their specifications (if any) were kept track
> of by the IANA Character Sets registry. This specification renders that
> registry obsolete.

​Googling for that statement got me to:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-encoding-20140603/​

> Historically encodings and their specifications (if any) were kept track
of by the IANA Character Sets registry
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets/character-sets.xhtml>. This
specification renders that registry obsolete.

​I see a second problem, with the *first* statement. There were definitely
encodings in widespread use that were not in the IANA character set
registry. So it is also false.

I think the most that one could say is something like the following, where
I'm not quite sure what the scope of XXX is: web documents? HTML and XML?
All IT protocols? All future IT protocols? ...

Historically many encodings had identifiers (and sometimes references to
specifications) in the IANA Character Sets registry
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets/character-sets.xhtml>. This
specification is intended to supplant that registry for use with XXX.

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

 *— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*