W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2014

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2014-06-05

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 16:52:51 +0100
Message-ID: <53909253.2070902@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2014/06/05-i18n-minutes.html




Text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

05 Jun 2014

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2014Jun/0003.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/06/05-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, leandro, Mati, David_(via_IRC)

    Regrets
           Felix

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR
          5. [9]Review of CSS-Variables and Tracking-DNT
          6. [10]Encoding
          7. [11]Review Rules
          8. [12]CharMod
          9. [13]AOB?
      * [14]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Action Items

    [15]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-251?

    <trackbot> action-251 -- Addison Phillips to Contact the epub
    folks and see if they will write to html asking about ruby --
    due 2013-09-05 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/251

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/251

    action-252?

    <trackbot> action-252 -- Felix Sasaki to Ping dita folks about
    contacting html5 about ruby progress -- due 2013-09-05 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/252

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/252

    close action-302

    <trackbot> Closed action-302.

    richard: need to announce these

    close action-307

    <trackbot> Closed action-307.

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: talk to susan about tpac arrangements
    [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2014/06/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-311 - Talk to susan about tpac
    arrangements [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-06-12].

    close action-309

    <trackbot> Closed action-309.

    close action-310

    <trackbot> Closed action-310.

Info Share

    <scribe> chair: welcoming Leandro from Adobe

    leandro: been on globalization team of Adobe since 1996
    ... involved with I18N of our products
    ... have an internal website about internationalization
    ... the "globalization report card"
    ... currently the globalization architect for digital marketing
    product
    ... working on bidi in one of our products
    ... thanks for having me here

    richard: published last call for Encoding
    ... just been working on tests for @dir
    ... in HTML to check that it does isolation
    ... talked to Aharon
    ... he won't have time to develop tests
    ... looked at encoding tests

    JcK: precis document
    ... which seems to encourage every protocol to have its own
    character rules
    ... being hotly debated

    <r12a> [19]http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1083

      [19] http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1083

    richard: universal access discussion in oman
    ... the above link is the blog post trip report about it

RADAR

    [20]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    SCXML

    State Chart XML (SCXML): State Machine Notation for Control
    Abstraction

Review of CSS-Variables and Tracking-DNT

    [21]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/56

      [21] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/56

    issue-346?

    <trackbot> issue-346 -- Section 5.2 use of %31 and %30 for
    characters 1 and 0 -- open

    <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/346

      [22] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/346

    issue-347?

    <trackbot> issue-347 -- Section 5.2: DNT-extension excludes
    should spell out control, space, double quote. -- open

    <trackbot> [23]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/347

      [23] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/347

    issue-348?

    <trackbot> issue-348 -- Non-ASCII not permitted in extensions
    -- open

    <trackbot> [24]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/348

      [24] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/348

    issue-349?

    <trackbot> issue-349 -- Section title for 6.2.7 doesn't match
    earlier description -- open

    <trackbot> [25]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/349

      [25] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/349

    issue-350?

    <trackbot> issue-350 -- IRI/non-ASCII not permitted in -- open

    <trackbot> [26]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/350

      [26] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/350

    Section 6.3.2: The grammar doesn't allow %, so the path to the
    DNT value cannot include non-ASCII characters that are percent
    encoded (neither can it be an IRI). A tracking resource might
    be named for some actual resource that uses non-ASCII
    characters in its name. Not permitting non-ASCII directly or
    via URI percent escapes limits what can be represented.

    richard: add document links too, please

    issue-351?

    <trackbot> issue-351 -- Section 6.4.2: restriction to "URI-safe
    characters" -- open

    <trackbot> [27]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/351

      [27] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/351

    Section 6.4.2: Use of "URI-safe characters" (non-ASCII
    support). Since a site may wish to associate the tracking
    status with specific resources and since these resources might
    be named using non-ASCII characters, this appears to limit
    usage in a non-helpful way?

    [28]http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/

      [28] http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/

    [29]http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/#request-specific-status-
    resource

      [29] 
http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/#request-specific-status-resource

    <matial> +1

    addison: any objections to making these WG comments?

    jck: no objection

    <David> no objection

    jck: be a little cautious about adopting non-ASCII everywhere

    [30]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/57

      [30] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/57

    issue-352?

    <trackbot> issue-352 -- normalization of custom property names
    -- open

    <trackbot> [31]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/352

      [31] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/352

    Section 2 says in part: <quote> Unlike other CSS properties,
    custom property names are case-sensitive. EXAMPLE. While both
    --foo and --FOO are valid, they are distinct properties - using
    var(--foo) will refer to the first one, while using var(--FOO)
    will refer to the second. </quote> Case sensitivity is not the
    only variation that can apply to text. While citing the case
    sensitivity is useful, should mention be made of other
    variations, such as Unicode[CUT]

    addison: anne had a good comment on this, but suggest a health
    warning

    issue-353?

    <trackbot> issue-353 -- Section 2.1 case sensitivity and
    normalization -- open

    <trackbot> [32]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/353

      [32] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/353

    addison: any objection to making these WG comments?

    <matial> +1

    [33]http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-css-variables-1-20140506/#defi
    ning-variables

      [33] 
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-css-variables-1-20140506/#defining-variables

Encoding

    addison: we did publish and announce to chairs@

    richard: if anyone feels like wrigting some tests
    ... this is your big chance
    ... looked at some tests we have already
    ... focus on recognizing encoding correctly
    ... and the characters in each encoding
    ... need to tests the api parts
    ... some tests not completely accurate
    ... think about format of tests
    ... single byte all in a single test
    ... some pass, some fail
    ... need to separate
    ... put into standard format for html test suite
    ... and generate results too!
    ... need to talk to people about this
    ... robin berjon would be happy to help us start
    ... he'll be back in a week or so
    ... in the meantime... please to read and comment
    ... need to respond to all comments, including dispostion

    [34]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/25

      [34] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/25

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: talk to Dom about adding status
    tracking stuff to tracker for encoding last call purposes
    [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2014/06/05-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-312 - Talk to dom about adding status
    tracking stuff to tracker for encoding last call purposes [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2014-06-12].

    [36]http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-encoding-20140603/

      [36] http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-encoding-20140603/

    [37]http://www.w3.org/TR/encoding/

      [37] http://www.w3.org/TR/encoding/

Review Rules

    richard: process for raising issues in reviews
    ... was more complicated than it needed to be
    ... so addison and I simplified some things

    <r12a> [38]http://www.w3.org/International/track/

      [38] http://www.w3.org/International/track/

    richard: and we simplied the product lists

    <r12a> [39]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products

      [39] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products

    richard: if you look at this, you can see we've gotten rid of
    .prep, .adhoc, etc.
    ... moved any issues into named products
    ... makes it easier to find anything
    ... rewrote process
    ... at the link to follow

    <r12a>
    [40]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

      [40] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

    richard: much shorter and simpler
    ... so now we need people to go review some documents and try
    it out
    ... we have tended previously
    ... the initial posts went to public-i18n-core list
    ... but please look out for those emails
    ... and raise objections
    ... and commenters should send addison an agenda+
    ... give some time so people have time to read them
    ... and we'll discuss in the teleconference

CharMod

    [41]http://www.w3.org/International/docs/charmod-norm/

      [41] http://www.w3.org/International/docs/charmod-norm/

    addison: would like to go "first public working draft"

    richard: pubrules, link checker, etc.

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: talk to susan about tpac arrangements
    [recorded in
    [42]http://www.w3.org/2014/06/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: talk to Dom about adding status tracking
    stuff to tracker for encoding last call purposes [recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2014/06/05-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 5 June 2014 15:53:21 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:05 UTC