W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2014

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2014-05-15

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 17:43:03 +0100
Message-ID: <53861217.7030009@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html




Text version:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

15 May 2014

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2014May/0004.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           matial, Richard, aphillip, JcK, [IPcaller], fsasaki

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda?
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Review Radar
          5. [9]Encoding
          6. [10]AOB?
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda?

Action Items

    [12]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [12] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    felix: any news on ACTION-284

    action-284

    <trackbot> action-284 -- Felix Sasaki to Write back to xliff
    and its-ig with summary of our discussion -- due 2014-02-13 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [13]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/284

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/284

Info Share

    richard: went to Oman
    ... MLWeb conference
    ... in Madrid last week
    ... spoke about the layout requirements documents that we've
    been developing

    <r12a>
    [14]http://www.multilingualweb.eu/documents/2014-madrid-worksho
    p/2014-madrid-program

      [14] 
http://www.multilingualweb.eu/documents/2014-madrid-workshop/2014-madrid-program

    richard: oman meeting
    ... google is working on solutions
    ... not highest priority
    ... but being worked on
    ... microsoft as well
    ... took copious notes
    ... want to write a summary
    ... for example, looking at handling IDNs in gmail
    ... I talked about URLs as a whole
    ... and that brings additional things
    ... they were mostly concerned about top two levels of IDNs

    jck: gmail folks have said in various places that they won't
    support non-ASCII local parts

    richard: why percent escaping for domain part of web address?

    addison: larry masinter notes that this is seen in DNS server
    logs

    richard: maybe push for punycode all the time
    ... some folks suggested punycode all the time for local part
    (user name)

    addison: apis produce percent encoding

    jck: mail servers have to be specifically set up to accept
    punycode local part
    ... only utf-8 through consistent

    richard: order of email addresses in RTL
    ... email addresses show RTL
    ... and HTTP on the right side
    ... also want to get rid of the "http://" part
    ... and 'www' because they are ASCII

    addison: spoke at SFGlobalization

    [15]http://www.meetup.com/sf-globalization/events/174718202/

      [15] http://www.meetup.com/sf-globalization/events/174718202/

    [16]http://bit.ly/sfglobalization-the-multilingual-web

      [16] http://bit.ly/sfglobalization-the-multilingual-web

Review Radar

    [17]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar#Schedule
    d_Last_Call_reviews

      [17] 
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar#Scheduled_Last_Call_reviews

    Tracking DNT, CSS Variables, DOM Parsing

    <r12a> [18]http://w3c.github.io/csvw/syntax/index.html#parsing

      [18] http://w3c.github.io/csvw/syntax/index.html#parsing

    richard: work going on on CSV metadata
    ... went to a talk by Ivan Hermann
    ... want to publish more widely in about four weeks
    ... mgiht be simpler if we comment now

    richard to shepherd

    richard: also a requirements document somewhere. will send link

    <r12a>
    [19]http://w3c.github.io/csvw/use-cases-and-requirements/index.
    html#can-req

      [19] 
http://w3c.github.io/csvw/use-cases-and-requirements/index.html#can-req

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: write a trip report/summary of the
    universal access meeting [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-305 - Write a trip report/summary of
    the universal access meeting [on Richard Ishida - due
    2014-05-22].

    action-284

    <trackbot> action-284 -- Felix Sasaki to Write back to xliff
    and its-ig with summary of our discussion -- due 2014-02-13 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [21]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/284

      [21] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/284

    felix: now part of the XLIFF TC

Encoding

    [22]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__ope
    n__&content=Encoding&list_id=36917&order=component&product=WHAT
    WG&query_format=specific

      [22] 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&content=Encoding&list_id=36917&order=component&product=WHATWG&query_format=specific

    [23]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16691

      [23] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16691

    richard: could get get Anne to put notes in the spec where
    there are open issues?

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping Anne about adding notations for
    where bugs are located [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-306 - Ping anne about adding
    notations for where bugs are located [on Addison Phillips - due
    2014-05-22].

    [25]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16685

      [25] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16685

    [26]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21057

      [26] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21057

    Proposed solution: Define a replacement encoding that decodes
    all possible byte values to the REPLACEMENT CHARACTER. Make the
    known labels for ASCII-incompatible encodings that exist but
    aren't part of the Encoding Standard aliases for the
    replacement encoding.

    [27]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23971

      [27] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23971

    [28]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17053

      [28] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17053

    [29]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25339

      [29] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25339

    [30]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=19961

      [30] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=19961

    <JcK> The other problem with going further down the path of
    legitimizing sometimes-deliberate violations of what the
    encoding identifiers are intended to mean is that I'm seeing
    increasing amounts of email with an encoding that is labeled in
    various ways but I've started describing as UTF-2312.

    [31]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23317

      [31] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23317

    [32]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21556

      [32] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21556

    [33]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23154

      [33] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23154

    richard: follow up to see if anything has happened on that
    since september

AOB?

    <r12a> addison, don't forget slide 30 ;-)

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping Anne about adding notations for
    where bugs are located [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: write a trip report/summary of the
    universal access meeting [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Wednesday, 28 May 2014 16:43:32 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:05 UTC