Re: I can't find my language tag in Language Subtag Registry

From: Gunnar Bittersmann <gunnar@bittersmann.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 01:25:57 +0200
To: Mats Blakstad <mats.gbproject@gmail.com>, www-international <www-international@w3.org>
Hi Mats,

>> In the Language Subtag Registry there is only one subtag for Cape
>> Verdean Creole (kea) and one reginal code for Cape Verde (CV). So I
>> wonder if there is any best practice for language tags for dialects?
>>
>> Can I use regional ISO 3166-2 tags?

AFAIS, no.

RFC 5646, section 2.2.4 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5646#section-2.2.4
is pretty strict about region subtags: either a two-letter code
according to ISO 3166-1 or a three-digit code according to UN M.49. No
ISO 3166-2 sountry subdivision codes allowed.

If there are no registered variant subtags [section 2.2.5
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5646#section-2.2.5, paragraph 4] you are
left with the option of private-use subtags [section 2.2.7
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5646#section-2.2.7].

See also http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/

Gunnar