I18N-ISSUE-304: mismatch between ref:langString and xsd:string types? [.prep-RDF1.1]

From: Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 19:57:48 +0000
To: www-international@w3.org
I18N-ISSUE-304: mismatch between ref:langString and xsd:string types? [.prep-RDF1.1]

Raised by: Addison Phillips
On product: .prep-RDF1.1

URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-rdf11-mt-20130723/#D_interpretations

In Section 7.1 you say:

The built-in RDF datatype rdf:langString has no ill-typed literals. Any syntactically legal literal with this type will denote a value in every RDF interpretation. The only ill-typed literals of type xsd:string are those containing a Unicode code point which does not match the Char production in [XML10]. Such strings cannot be written in an XML-compatible surface syntax.

It's not clear why the Unicode requirements for xsd:string do not also apply to the non-language-tag content of rdf:langString? Is it because "syntactically legal" prohibits non-XML10 characters in langString?