I18N-ISSUE-303: Incorrect note about language tag syntax [.prep-RDF1.1]

From: Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 19:51:27 +0000
To: www-international@w3.org
I18N-ISSUE-303: Incorrect note about language tag syntax [.prep-RDF1.1]

Raised by: Addison Phillips
On product: .prep-RDF1.1

URI: http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-rdf11-concepts-20130723/#section-Graph-Literal

In Section 3.3 there is a note that reads:

--
Implementors might wish to note that language tags conform to the regular expression ’@’ [a-zA-Z]{1,8} (’-’ [a-zA-Z0-9]{1,8})* before normalizing to lowercase.
--

However, previously the spec required language tags to be "well-formed" by the rules in BCP47 section 2.2.9. The "well-formedness" requirement refers to the full ABNF syntax of language tags. The note's content is identical to the syntax of the "obs-language-tag" production in that same section of BCP47 (and intended for compatibility with older specs/implementations that referenced the obsolete RFC3066).

There is also no discussion of ASCII case-folding here. Depending on the locale or runtime configuration, some ASCII letters can casefold to non-ASCII values if this isn't specified.

I think your intention is clearly to encourage ASCII case-folding to lowercase.