Re: New FAQ Article for review [I18N-ACTION-260]

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:39:11 -0400
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: Gunnar Bittersmann <gunnar@bittersmann.de>, www-international@w3.org
Richard Ishida scripsit:

> >Wouldn’t it be a good advice to always use the lang attribute on the
> >elements that carry translate="no"? Though it would not be necessary in
> >the original, it should be set in translation:

> >auf Ihrem Drucker.</p>
>
> In theory that's right, but I'm not sure it's worth the detour into
> that for this article.

Expediency aside, is this even right?  It seems to me the very reason for
setting translate to "no" is that this is *not* English text, despite
appearances, but a language-independent token, like "creat" in discussions
of Posix functions, or "background-color" in en-gb text explaining CSS.
Since you want to suppress German spell-checking on it, the correct
value of lang would be "", I think (or "zxx" if you are allergic to "").

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan      cowan@ccil.org
Be yourself.  Especially do not feign a working knowledge of RDF where