Re: [css-fonts-3] i18n-ISSUE-287: Figure 4 - combining diacritics

Richard Ishida wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css-fonts-3-20130711/#typography-background
> Typography Background
>
> Figure 4 & "The use of combining diacritic marks creates many variations
> for an underlying letterform"
>
> Not sure what is the intent of fig 4. If it's to show how a font has to
> cater for variation in placement and shape of glyphs, it might be better
> to use examples of tone marks in Thai and medial consonants in Burmese,
> etc. I can supply examples if needed.
>
> This would also introduce the idea of complex scripts, which I thought
> was lacking in this section.

It's simply there to illustrate that basic letterforms are often
combined with diacritics.  I do think it would be interesting to go
into this in a little more depth and add examples for complex scripts
but, given the late date and the informative nature of this section, I
think this should wait until the next level.  Any examples and/or
illustrations you can provide in that regard would be most appreciated.

Regards,

John Daggett