Re: New article: Indicating the language of a link destination

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I wonder why we still have [hreflang]. It seems if the only practical
> benefit is as a CSS styling hook it might be better to place it in
> content as that would be more accessible too. And by having it in the
> language it will waste people's time wondering what to do with it. Any
> reason hreflang="" is still in HTML, Ian?

It's useful, in conjunction with rel=alternate, for search engines and
other automated tools to know that two pages are (or rather, might be)
translations of each other, and can be exposed in a UI that exposes
alternate versions of pages, much like rel=alternate with
type=application/pdf or similar, and much like (for <link>) media=print or
similar.

It's not widely used, but since it's not widely misused either, leaving
it seems mostly harmless.