Re: Proposal: Locale Preferences API

On Friday, July 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Andrew Cunningham wrote:

> This proposal seems to heavily confuse two different things: language and locale, although language is one aspect of a locale, it isn't the only one.

Absolutely.
> Added to the fact a locale change doesn't necessarily mean a language change.

Agreed. The event firing is not based on language change, but a change in the values of the list that represents the user's locale preferences. Sorry that my use of terminology is admittedly crappy - I'll review what I wrote there and try to make that clear.
> Having somethink to track locale would be useful, but equating it to language isn't ideal.

Agreed. For better of for worst, most developers do think about this in terms of "languages". Even BCP47 is misnamed in this sense, in that it's called "Tags for Identifying Languages".

In any case, I'm happy to hear that you think such an API would be useful.

--
Marcos Caceres