Re: Comments on ITS 2.0

Hi Norbert, all,

thanks a lot for the comments. Some initial replies below.

Am 16.01.13 09:40, schrieb Norbert Lindenberg:
> I've only read a few sections of the spec [1] so far; here are the comments I have for them.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206
>
> Norbert
>

> Global comments:
>
> - A number of headings are missing spaces between section number and title.

thanks, will fix.

> - Numerous sentences appear to be missing articles. I've noted some of them below, but some careful copy-editing seems necessary.

we need an English native speaker to make the careful copy-editing, and
didn't have the bandwidht so far. But I agree with your comment.

> 1 Introduction

Note the status section
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#status
[ The normative sections of this document (from Section 3: Notation and
Terminology
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#notation-terminology> to
Section 8: Description of Data Categories
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#datacategory-description>
and Appendix A: References
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#normative-references> to
Appendix D: Schemas for ITS
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#its-schemas>) are stable.
The other, non-normative sections contain only explanatory material and
will be updated in a later working draft.]

We moved to last call to get feedback on the normative definitions are
ok. Of course we will also look into your comments on sec. 1, but note
that there will be a overall re-write of these sections anyway.

> - "NIF" should be spelled out on first use - I didn't know what it is.
>
> 1.2 Motivation for ITS
>
> - Links for DocBook and DITA would be useful.
>
> 1.2.1 Typical Problems
>
> - Is there any support for strings that are not translatable but localizable, such as NavajoWhite in Example 1 or images/cancel.gif in Example 2?
>
> 1.3.1.6Text Analytics
>
> - "These types of users": Do you mean "this type of service"?
>
> 1.3.1.7Localization Workflow Managers
>
> - concerend -> concerned
>
> - "bitext format": what's that? (Yes, I found out. Still, I first thought this was a typo...)
>
> 1.4.1 Support for legacy HTML content
>
> - "migrate their content to HTML": this probably should be HTML5.
>
> 2.1 Selection
>
> - "CSS and other query languages": I guess you mean CSS selectors?

Yes, thanks.

> - "supported by application" -> "supported by the application"
>
> - "http://docbook.org/ns /docbook" -> "http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"

Thanks, makes sense.

> 5.7 Conversion to NIF
>
> - This section requires a normative reference to the NIF specification, but there is none in Appendix A.

Agree, see also the LC comment we got on NIF
https://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/track/issues/73

> 6 Using ITS Markup in HTML
>
> - This section should clarify that by "HTML" it really means "HTML5 in HTML syntax". It's not HTML 4, because that doesn't have a translate attribute.
correct, but it's HTML5 or its successor: HTML5.x will have a
"translate" attribute. For HTML4 etc., see
http://www.w3.org/TR/its20/#usage-in-legacy-html

>   It's also not HTML5 in XHTML syntax, because that is case sensitive and has real namespaces.

For XHTML see
http://www.w3.org/TR/its20/#xhtml5-markup
we probably need to make clear that this section covers both XHTML and
XHTML5.

> - After reading section 2.2.3 of the HTML5 spec, I'm still not quite sure whether HTML5 documents with its-* attributes are conformant HTML5 documents, or whether they have to be labeled "conforming HTML5+ITS documents". Any clear answer?

ITS is an extension spec. Not sure what you mean by "labeled": there
will be no mime type for an HTML5 document containing ITS markup.

> - This section requires a normative reference to the HTML5 specification, but there is none in Appendix A.

Agree.

> - "Name of HTML attribute" -> "The name of the HTML attribute", "the name of attribute" -> "the name of the attribute"
>
> - "will gets" -> "will get"

Thanks, makes sense.

> 7 Using ITS Markup in XHTML
>
> - I assume this section is also meant to cover HTML5 documents in XHTML syntax. If so, this should be called out.

Good point, see above.

> 8.5 Directionality
>
> - Unicode, HTML, and CSS are adding new characters/tags/attributes/properties to support isolates. Details are still being discussed, but ITS should probably reflect the outcome.

mm ... I'm all for it, but will we the outcome of the discussion be in
time for ITS2?

> Appendix B:
>
> - File extensions are commonly specified with leading period, i.e., ".its".
>
> - .its is used for some other file types - don't know whether that's likely to cause problems:
> http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/its

Thanks, makes sense.

Best,

Felix