Re: Case Sensitivity in CSS [I18N-ACTION-171]

Tab Atkins wrote:

> > Please let us know if CSS agrees with the above positions and/or
> > what concerns you have. We look forward to reviewing changes to
> > CSS addressing this issue in the near future.
>
> The only thing I disagree with is the recommendation that CSS be
> generally case-sensitive for new features.  This should be nuanced:
> for consistency with the existing language, anything related to CSS
> values should be CI.  If we were to, say, design a completely new
> type of selector, however, it should be CS, as that agrees with
> Selectors in general.

What does "anything related to CSS values should be CI" apply to?
Given that all existing values in CSS have been restricted to ASCII
keywords, what is the situation where a value would need to be matched
using Unicode case insensitivity?

The specifics of this discussion are related to whether user
identifiers are matched case sensitively, ASCII case insensitively or
Unicode case insensitively.  If user identifiers are matched case
sensitively then what is the scenario where Unicode strings need to be
matched case insensitively?

HTML5 has clearly adopted a pattern of using case sensitive matching
for all string matching not already defined as ASCII case insensitive.
I do not see a situation where CSS alone needs to require Unicode
case insensitive matching.

Cheers,

John Daggett