Re: [css3-writing-modes] i18n-ISSUE-167: Example of Bidirectional Text

On 10/17/2012 10:01 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:
> Example of Bidirectional Text
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#bidi-example
>
> I've been meaning to say for some years now that this is a very bad example. It should use dedicated bidi specific markup (see
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-bidi-css-markup#markup "You should therefore use dedicated bidi markup whenever
> it is available. Do not simply attach CSS styling to a general element to achieve the effect."). Here is an proposal for an
> alternative version of parts of the example.

I switched the example to use DocBook. Take a look and let me know if it's good?

> /* Rules for bidi */
> *[dir=rtl] {direction: rtl; unicode-bidi: embed;}
> *[dir=ltr] {direction: ltr; unicode-bidi: embed;}
>
> These generic style rules should be what goes in the separate style sheet.

Not sure I handled this part as you want; I think you want me to adjust
the prose somehow?

> Also, we recommend not using bidi markup unless you need to change the base direction, so if this document had an overall base
> direction of ltr (either by default, or via <ROOT dir="ltr">), you wouldn't need to have the dir="ltr" after ENGLISH. It may
> be worth adding a note to that effect.

I think it's not that important to point out here.

> It's also confusing that the markup is in uppercase, since the uppercase is used to indicate Hebrew characters. Unless you are
> trying to make a point that the markup uses hebrew element names (which I don't think is necessary here), they should probably
> be in lowercase.

Good point. Fixed.

~fantasai