Re: For review: 1 new and 3 updated articles about language declarations in HTML

On 22/08/2011 20:56, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:
>> 3 Declaring language in HTML
>> http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/new-language-decl/qa-html-language-declarations
>>

> “[…] use language attributes on elements surrounding that content if you
> want to style or process it differently.”
>
> Drop the conditional sentence, I’d say: … use language attributes on
> elements surrounding that content. Period.
>
> Just do it regardless if you want to style or process it differently or
> not. You might want to do so in the future, and it would be no good to
> add the language information _then_ instead of _now_.

That para now reads:

"If you have any content on the page that is in a different language
from that declared in the html element, use language attributes on
elements surrounding that content. This allows you to style or process
it differently."

> Additionally, I believe that no data is better than wrong data. So once
> the language is declared in the html element, the language information
> for content in other language(s) would be wrong if not declared there.

Not sure i understand this.

> “only allows characters - no markup”
>
> Use en dash: only allows characters – no markup

Fixed.

> “If you want to specify the language of some content but there is no
> markup around it, use a span or a div element around the content.”
>
> Or an i element (with class), as proposed in
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-b-and-i-tags

That's a little more complicated, so i changed the text to:

"use an element such as span or div around the content"

> “the language code az”
>
> Mark 'az' as code (as other language codes before): the language code
> <code class="kw">az</code>

Done.

> “the dir attribute”
>
> Mark 'dir' as code (as other attribute names before): the <code
> class="kw">dir</code> attribute

Done.

Thanks,
RI

--
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/

Register for the W3C MultilingualWeb Workshop!
Limerick, 21-22 September 2011
http://multilingualweb.eu/register