RE: For review: 6 new and 2 updated articles about character encoding

Changed to: As we said before, use characters rather than escapes for ordinary text.

> (The note about NBSP looking like a space but preventing a line wrap
> also appers twice, but in places far away from each other.)
>

> Further down:
> “If you use HTML-defined character entity references  (such as á)
> to represent characters in XHTML, you should take care any time your
> content is processed using XML tools, or converted to XML.”
>
> Hm, “converted to XML” might sound as if XHTML was not XML.

Changed to: any time your content is processed using XML parsers or other tools.

> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-escapes.en.php#use
>
> “Note, however, that, although it is part of the XML language, ' is
> not defined in HTML 4.01. For this reason the XHTML specification
> recommends instead the use of ' if text may be passed to an HTML
> user agent. In addition, some browsers do not support ' in HTML.”
>
> “In addition”? It seems to be out of place to me since it is the same
> reason as previously mentioned. How about:
>
> Note, however, that, although it is part of the XML language, ' is
> not defined in HTML 4.01. For this reason the XHTML specification
> recommends instead the use of ' if text may be passed to an HTML
> user agent. Some browsers do not support ' in HTML.

Changed to: Note, however, that, although it is part of the XML language, ' is not defined in HTML 4.01 and some browsers do not support ' in HTML. For this reason the XHTML specification recommends instead the use of ' if text may be passed to an HTML browser.

> Typography:
>
> Don’t use hyphens for dashes, but U+2013 en dash. It should be safe to
> replace any occurence of " - " with " – " (space, en dash, space).

Done.

RI