Re: For review: Character encodings in HTML and CSS

On 2/9/2010 11:38 PM, John Cowan wrote:
> Leif Halvard Silli scripsit:
>

>> (1) It should be mentioned that in SGML based mark-up, such as HTML4,
>> one may omit the ";" in NCRs....
>>

> On the contrary, I would not document that you can drop it, particularly
> when you can't always.

Many documents are not only read to understand how to generate
documents, but also to understand existing documents (perhaps with
a view to modifying them).

 From that aspect, it's important to not only cover "best practices",
but to adequately cover even deprecated constructs, let alone
fully legal ones that are only to be avoided for sake of clarity,
simplicity, symmetry, consistency or other types of convenience.

If you have a good reason to avoid a certain practice, you can
nevertheless write something like:

"In many existing documents  you will also find...."

followed  by a summary description and, perhaps, by a short
example pointing out how such usages are tricky to get right.

That's the kind of document  that  isn't  either "dumbed  down"
or "politically correct", but actually helpful in the face of
real world scenarios.