RE: Localisation recommendations

Jim,

I don't know of any guidelines on how to handle explanatory text of this
kind. (But please let the list know if you find useful information.) I guess
it would be hard to put the explanation on every page of the European
English site, useful as that would be.  On the other hand, I think you
should add links to each page that enable the user to find other language.
It may be, for example, if you don't translate into Hungarian, that an older
person in Hungary who doesn't speak good English can understand German quite
well, and may want to use that site.

You may want to look at http://www.globalbydesign.com/ for some ideas.  John
is very interested in i18n navigation issues.

RI

There's also
http://www.w3.org/2007/Talks/1015-ishida-iuc31/slides/Slide0220.html
and http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-navigation-select