Re: Ideographic Space, word-spacing, and justification

On 2008.10.31 18:35, "Asmus Freytag" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/2008 3:01 PM, Steve Deach wrote:
>> Replies interleaved below.

>>> My point was that because they conflict visually, when WSA is used,
>>> letterspacing should either not be permitted, should be contraction
>>> only, or should be kept below a threshold that prevents it from being
>>> confused with WSA.
>>>

>> No, WSA is the emphasis usage. It is an explicit style override on a span of
>> a fixed amount (basically CSS-2.0 letterspacing). It is applied first,
>> before any line-breaking decision is made. If the line then requires
>> justification, traditional letterspacing/wordspacing (as is in XSL &
>> proposed in CSS3) is applied in addition. (see more detail below)
>>
> OK, so it looks like you didn't get what I tried to get across:
>
> Readers t h a t expect WSA
> used  for e m p h a s i s have
> a    h   a    r   d     t   i   m   e
> understanding  text  that also
> uses letterspacing.
>
> If you can't read the sentence above, let alone tell where the
> *emphasis* is supposed to go, you know what I mean.

I actually agree with you that combining the 2 is not in general a good
design concept.
  That point aside, the above example is NOT justified. Letterspacing, by
the traditional definition is only used in justified text and the
letterspacing adjustment is uniform for the full line (assuming a single
language & text size within the line). Under normal circumstances, extreme
letterspacing (such as that in "a hard time") should only occur in
newspapers and poorly designed documents when hyphenation is also disallowed
(or circumstances where the document designer has forced simiarly irrational
combinations of constraints), so for normal usage detecting additional WSA
within a line is generally pretty obvious (at least used for emphasis,
because the amount is generally quite large relative to the non-emphasized
text).

> To put this in the context of cultural conventions:
>
> English readers are unlikely to encounter WSA used for  e m p h a s i s.
> For such readers, text that is formatted with large amounts of
> letterspacing added to fit narrow columns is (apparently) acceptable
> without any problem, even though in some situations, like narrow
> columns, the type color can vary drastically.
>
> German and other readers who expect that space added between letters
> denotes emphasis will have a harder time reading text that uses (more
> than minimal) expansion of interletter space for justification. To such
> readers, the justified text may appear to be *randomly* emphasized. The
> user can't determine what caused the additional space between the
> letters. He or she can only note that some words appear lighter than
> others because of space between the letters.
>
> Your usage rules below are culturally blind - they merely attempt to
> regulate how a user agent processes different instructions present in
> the formatting. They don't address the issue I'm trying to make here,
> which is that combining WSA and letterspacing is a bad idea, and even
> using any noticable degree of letterspacing in cultural contexts where
> other texts use WSA will be confusing.

They are not usage rules, they ARE user agent processing rules; how a given
designer or culture chooses to use them is their choice. Any process of
defining "rules" to generate aesthetics is subject to similar failure; my
point was that you should have separate properties for controlling, at a
minimum, the usage of wordspacing and letterspacing on a
language-/script-specific basis (and other aspects of justification) to
allow for appropriate results in a mixed script/language environment. That
was the original question ("Should wordspacing be applied to the
ideographic-space character?").

I agree completely that using certain combinations of styling properties
(letterspacing, wordspacing, hyphenation, justification, emphasis
techniques) in inappropriate combinations for a given language/culture will
give unacceptable results.

> "Traditional" electronic publishing has consistently gotten this issue
> wrong. I've encountered many badly typeset documents that suffered from
> having been typeset by software designed for Anglo-Saxon typography.
> (The effect is exacerbated whenever the software doesn't support the
> hyphenation necessary to deal with those German monster compound words,
> or when the defaults are set to disable hyphenation).

Any tool can be misused.

You & I are saying a similar thing, that designing a set of styling
properties based on the understanding of only one culture will lead to
unacceptable results when applied to another. I am NOT saying one should
apply traditional U.S. rules to all cultures. I am saying you should be
aware of traditional U.S. rules, traditional German rules, traditional
French rules, traditional Japanese rules, etc. and know which rules are
common across them them and which require separate script-specific,
language-specific, country-specific, and/or ???-specific properties.