Re: Ideographic Space, word-spacing, and justification

Replies interleaved below.

On 2008.10.31 14:30, "Asmus Freytag" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/2008 1:50 PM, Steve Deach wrote:
>> Exactly what I said under WSA/WSR. In some languages, this is used for
>> emphasis .
> My point was that because they conflict visually, when WSA is used,
> letterspacing should either not be permitted, should be contraction
> only, or should be kept below a threshold that prevents it from being
> confused with WSA.

No, WSA is the emphasis usage. It is an explicit style override on a span of
a fixed amount (basically CSS-2.0 letterspacing). It is applied first,
before any line-breaking decision is made. If the line then requires
justification, traditional letterspacing/wordspacing (as is in XSL &
proposed in CSS3) is applied in addition. (see more detail below)

>> There are ³country² differences, ³language² differences, ³script², and
>> ³wild hare² (random designer-/instance-specific) differences in
>> everything related to text composition (styling & layout).
> Agreed - it is helpful, though, to amass as much detailed input on known
> systematic differences in typical text usage conventions. I find that
> much more helpful than merely saying "watch out - something may depend
> on something".

--Sorry, I don't understand the referents for the first sentence. I think
you are saying that you can't "automate" this processing, which I basically
agree with because you can't fully determine the aggregat of
language/country/... combinations in a systematic manner -- Since at least
one of these parameters is "wild hare" (and perfectly resolving
reader/designer conflicts in locale is impossible), you need explicit
options there may be for some of these styling decisions, because even in a
well-defined locale 2 or more viable choices or the non-standard choice may
be intended to attract attention (or other designer reason).

--I'll answer the second sentence:
  In this case, all the adjustments are "additive". For any property that
has a single value or an optimal value (in a min/opt/max triplet), the
single/optimal value is applied before making the line-break decision; then
the min/max values are used to determine a "window" on the break-point; then
once the break is chosen, the min/max values are used to readjust the
spacing to make the line justify. (Its been that way in traditional
publishing systems for 32 years, at least.)