RE: Feedback for "An Introduction to Multilingual Web Addresses" -- mostly grammar/proofreading

Hi, I'll comment on "An Introduction to Multilingual Web Addresses"

( http://www.w3.org/International/articles/idn-and-iri/ )

too since Jens Meiert has done so.

First, I love the information on phishing (but since many routers permit redirects & thus all dns traffic can be redirected anyway maybe the only solution is to know your bank's ip address!)

SECTION:
 "Handling the domain name"
2nd paragraph, 1rst sentence:
". . . was agreed
> on
by the ietf in March 2003"

COMMENT:  please insert "on" here after "agreed"
(you can say 'ratified' and then you needn't use 'on')

* * *

SECTION:
"High level overview" (following "Domain registration")

"We give a slightly more detailed worked example in . . . "

COMMENT:  ???

There's a grammatical error here.
Do you mean:

> "We give a slightly more detailed working example . . . "??

* * *
SECTION
"High-level overview" (following "The string matching challenge")

:"The IRI specification uses unicode as a broker"
It would be helpful here if you mentioned that unicode has 3 formats,
utf-8 (which is backwards compatible with ANSI),
utf-16,
and utf-32.

(the most commonly used are utf-8 and utf-16 I think; but
I'm not the expert)

* * *

SECTION:
"Domain Name lookup"

1rst paragraph; 2nd sentence

"These include providers for top level country domains such as .cn, .jp, .kr, etc., and global top level domains such as . . ."

COMMENT:

I think it's important to keep both clauses parallel

> ".  .  . providers for top level country domains such as . . . , and for top level global domains such as . . . "

(I inserted "for" and moved "global" so that it follows "top level" in the second clause, as this is the way you have it in the first clause.)

* * *

Same section; 2nd paragraph, 1rst sentence:

"Client-side support for IDN is appears in the recent . . ."??

COMMENT:

Don't you mean:

> "Client-side support for IDN's appears in the recent . . . "??

(Just take out "is" and make "IDN" plural.)

(I think Jens Meiert already noted this--or a similar error!)

* * *

Same Section, Second to last paragraph:

"This guarantees that the user would be able to link to the resource, whatever platform they used."

COMMENT:

There's nothing wrong with the above sentence; I personally don't like "they"--which sounds plural to me--serving as the gender-neutral 3rd person pronoun; what about

> "whatever platform
he or she
used" ??

But it's fine, grammatically it's now allowed to use 'they' this way.

SECTION:
"Domain names and phishing"

COMMENT:
I like the idea of reserving all look like domain names to the domain registrant--guess I can't vote here; but I think it is a necessary courtesy to do so.

* * *

SECTION:
"Paths"

Second to last paragraph:

"You can run a basic check whether it works for your client and resource . . ."

COMMENT:

Don't you mean:

> "You can run a basic check to determine whether it works for your client and resource . . ."??

* * *

ALSO:
SECTION:
"Resolving a domain  name"

Paragraph 6; 1rst sentence:
I love the verb lowercased

(never knew it was a verb; no need to change it though; it's precise--though I suppose Orwell would not have liked it much;
some languages use verbs, others nouns--I think Farsi/Persian uses more nouns;
for example [I only know a few sentences/phrases but think my info is accurate]--
one says, "Sop-e farsi mikonid?" to ask, "Do you speak Persian/Farsi?"

Literally it means "Do you do the Persian/Farsi tongue" I think;
you use the same verb, "koni" for "play" when you talk about playing soccer;
I think you construct a lot of verbs with this one verb, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong; thus you do not need that many verbs in Persian; here, you've decided that nouns are really better as verbs and we can dispense with the noun and I actually think I prefer things that way.)

Best,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com