Re: Chinese language and emphasis

At 15:29 08/01/31, KUROSAKA Teruhiko wrote:

>> I'm wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions for me. As I understand it Japanese doesn稚 use italics as a form of emphasis, so using |<i>| tags around ideographic text is a big no no. Can anyone
>
>Not necessarily.  Use of italic in Japanese text is rare but not wrong.
>
>By the way, the <i> tag will no longer mean italic when the now draft HTML5
>becomes the standard.

I think there is a small but important difference between
"will necessarily be italicized" and "means italic". <i>
always has and still means italic. But since the first days,
without even needing stylesheets, there was no guarantee that
the contents of the <i> element would be rendered in italic,
e.g. on a text-only browser for a 24x80 terminal.

Regards,    Martin.