Re: Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in progress

On 10/25/2007 4:22 PM, Najib Tounsi wrote:
> Martin Duerst wrote:
> > ... Well, licence plates are a good example actually. In Japan, they
> > use Kanji and Hiragana. In Germany, they use Umlauts. In many Arabic
> > countries, they use Arabic letters and numerals. Najib can tell us
> > what Marocco does.
>
> Well, years ago, there were numbers like "1363-1 4" as showed in
> http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/
> Now, Arabic letters are used, like " 12345-X 9", where X is actually
> the Arabic Beh 'ب', coming after Alef 'أ'.
> For the story, this didn't make everybody happy. At vehicle
> administration and insurance companies, computer applications are not
> yet ready to accept non Latin scripts. I've been told that, as a
> temporary solution, Alef is replaced by A and Beh by B./
When I visited Greece for the most recent of the JTC1/SC2/WG2 meetings
held there, I noticed the fact that the licence plates used capital
letters to designate a local area. Upon further inquiry, I was told that
the letters used were carefully subsetted to those for which the shape
matches that of the corresponding Latin letters, so as to be able to run
Greek license plates through police computers using the Latin script.

During my visit I could confirm that I never once saw a license plate
that required the use of the Greek script.

A./