Re: FAQ: CSS vs. markup for bidi support

Hi Bert,

At 20:00 28/08/2007, Bert Bos wrote:

>(...)
>
>B.t.w., section 3.2 of XHTML 1.0 does define the semantics of XHTML
>documents when sent as generic XML: they essentially have no semantics.
>(Only ID attributes have some meaning, which is normal for anything
>that has a DTD.)

I don't follow your interpretation: criterion 3 says that only ID
attributes shall be recognized *as fragment identifiers*, not that
only ID attributes should be recognized *full stop*.
As far as I can see, section 3.2 [1] does not make a statement on the
semantics of XHTML elements or attributes, with the exception of the
ID attribute, attributes that are not recognized and elements that
are not recognized.
Or am I completely misreading that section?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#uaconf

Best regards,

Christophe

--