Re: How do I say 'this is not in any language' in XHTML/HTML

Richard Ishida wrote:
> So I drafted an updated (largely rewritten) version at http://esw.w3.org/topic/geoNoLanguageTag
>
> Am I getting close to the answer now?

Your question:
"How do I mark up HTML or XML content for language when I don't know the
language, or the content is non-linguistic?"

I think "not applicable" is more accurate than "content non-linguistic".
The latter is included into the former. For example,  for a picture or a
part number, 'language' is obviously not applicable since there is no
linguistic content, but for a program code it is easy to think of 'human
language' not applicable  rather than no linguistic content.
Later you say 'perhaps program code' when talking about 'some text that
is not in any language'

I agree with your classification
- lang = "und" when the language of text is actually unknown (It is in
some language, but I can't say which it is) and
- lang = "zxx" (or "") when language is "not applicable" (It is a
picture, a part number, a program code etc.)

But I put lang="" as semantically equivalent to lang="xzz", i.e. meaning
no possible value because not applicable.

Najib

--

Najib TOUNSI (mailto:tounsi @ w3.org)
Bureau W3C au Maroc (http://www.w3c.org.ma/)