Re: Comment on working draft "Specifying Language in XHTML and HTML Content"

Character set should not be recommended as a proxy for language.
Specifying the character encoding of a document is important, but, at
the very best, merely *implies* the language of the document (my mailer
might send you this message in Big5, but that doesn't make the message
Chinese). It should not be confused with identifying the language of the
content, and, in part this is what the techniques document is trying to
convey.

You can, absolutely, declare the character set (encoding) without saying
anything about the language of a document. The headers and meta
information used for language and for encoding are entirely separate. In
fact, far more documents on the Web have an encoding declaration of one
form or another than have language declarations.

Addison

--
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.