Re: Invalid relationship between bandwidth and spoken language

Stephen Deach wrote:
> I thought that the CSS property setting of unicode-bidi="normal" had the
> effect of saying that the normal Unicode bidi rules were applied to
> text, and that the direction property text was effectively ignored (or
> treated as if it were what is being suggested as "auto").
>
> To force a text direction in CSS, you must set direction and set the
> unicode-bidi property to "embed" or "override".

This is partly true for inline elements, but not for block elements,
which is where the "auto" value would be most useful. Even for inline
elements with "unicode-bidi: normal", the direction is not determined by
the first strongly directional character (as in the proposed "auto") but
  by the Bidi algorithm as applied to the paragraph as a whole. Example:

This would be resolved as an RTL paragraph and rendered:

TAF TNECREP 3

FAT</span>.</p>

Because the numeral follows LTR text, this would be rendered:

The label said 3 TAF TNECREP.