Re: Preliminary Localization of XHTML into Chinese

Brett Zamir wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I am not sure whether this may have been done before (I'd be surprised
> if it hadn't), but since I haven't heard of it, here it goes...
>
> I wrote a preliminary XML language using Chinese characters to represent
> the elements, attributes, and specified attribute values of XHTML--no
> DTD or XML Schema yet--to be transformed by a XSLT sheet that I devised
> (with translation help from my wife) into XHTML (or a modular variety
> thereof). It manages to work fine (with a few nuances depending on
> whether viewing in Explorer or Firefox), at least for the relatively
> small files I've tested it on.

This might be useful for authoring on the server side, but you should not
encourage anyone to send it over the wire as a web page. The translation
to XHTML should be done on the server. The advantage of XHTML is that it
is a standardized language with known semantics. A translation of its tags
would just be arbitrary XML, which although it can be styled for graphical
browsers, isn't otherwise accessible because the semantics are unknown.

See
   http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1064828134&count=1
   http://annevankesteren.nl/2005/05/generic-xml
   http://tantek.com/log/2005/07.html#d24t1935