From: John Cowan [mailto:cowan@ccil.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:49 AM
To: Paul Nelson (ATC)
Cc: John Cowan; fantasai; Bert Bos; www-style@w3.org; WWW International
Subject: Re: CSS3 Text - Edit suggestions

Paul Nelson (ATC) scripsit:

> I have seen cases of ancient books where the Arabic baseline was
rotated
> 180 degrees so the Arabic text hung from top of the page to the
bottom.

Doubtless that is what I was thinking of.  My bad.  Of course,
horizontal scripts aren't like this: a horizontal script can validly
run from top to bottom or from bottom to top (to the annoyance
of people who interfile English and German books, for example).

> In fact, line-height is a concept of ascender + descender + leading.
> Regardless of the escapement or glyph orientation of the line the
> ascender is from the baseline to the ascent and from the baseline to
the
> descent.

My point is simply that the terms "height", "ascender", and "descender"
are biased towards horizontal layout; they suggest that the characters
are
displayed in a vertical orientation.  I don't think anything can or
should be done about this.

--
In politics, obedience and support      John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
are the same thing.  --Hannah Arendt    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan