Re: Updated Working Draft "Best Practices for XML Internationalization"

The title appears misleading. There are multiple ways to internationalize
XML documents. Only a few of the practices are general; the thrust of the
document appears to be using ITS to do so, so a more apt title would be

>Best Practices for XML Internationalization
=>
Best Practices for XML Internationalization using ITS

> Include xml:lang <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag> in your DTD
or schema to allow to specify the natural language of the content
=>
Where necessary, include
xml:lang<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag>in your DTD or
schema to allow to specify the natural language of the
content.

[why? because an XML document that just has locale-independent information
like inventory counts of part numbers doesn't want to have this. Ditto
below.]

> Make sure the xml:lang <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag>attribute is available for the root element of your document, and for any
element where a change of language may occur.

=>
If you documents can contain text of different languages, make sure the
xml:lang <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag> attribute is available
for the root element of your document. If it can contain mixed languages,
make sure it is available for any element where a change of language may
occur.

Same changes for other cases, like #2, #7,...

>Best Practice 19: Use CDATA sections with
caution<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xml-i18n-bp-20070628/#AuthCDATA>
I'd like to see this be:
=> Best Practice 19: Avoid CDATA sections wherever
possible<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xml-i18n-bp-20070628/#AuthCDATA>

> Best Practice 21: Ensure any inserted text is context-independent<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xml-i18n-bp-20070628/#AuthInsText>
While nice in theory, in practice this is impractical. People need to
substitute variable values. This phrasing is approaching it from the wrong
end. Instead of saying:
> Make sure any piece of inserted text is grammatically independent of its
surrounding context.
You need to say:
=> Structure surrounding text so that inserted text will be grammatically
independent.

That is, in each example you have of bad practice, you need to show how to
restructure it as good practice. Eg.

Bad:
ground.</p>
Good:
If the terms to be substituted are a closed, small set, then replace the
message by the multiple substituted phrases.
OR
Restructure the text using a "form" style, where the substituted term is
separated grammatically from the rest of the sentence.
conref="termbase#t123"/></p>

Mark

--
Mark