Re: Autmotic Translators Google SysTrans Want to find out more; why both same?

Thanks for your info on the French  (I think you are right; I think you have
to repeat "quelque chose"--"des cas où il est possible que
>se passe quelque chose"; I'll have to check with a French speaker!)
; but google and systrans are doing personal pronouns improperly in any
case, also!

Thanks.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com

>Hi,
>
>At 16:56 8/06/2007, CE Whitehead wrote:
>
>>Systrans is getting more like Google neither does impersonal pronouns
>>properly!
>>
>>* * *
>>
>>Example 1:
>>
>>Original (French) text:
>>
>>"Il va pleuvoir le dimanche, n'est pas?  A-t-il quelque chose que je peux
>>faire?"
>>
>>Systrans:
>>
>>"It will rain Sunday, is not? Does it have something which I can do?"
>>
>>Google:
>>
>>"It will rain Sunday, is not? Does it have something which I can do?"
>>
>>(I would translate the sentence as:
>>
>>"It's going to rain Sunday, right?  Is there anything I can do?")
>
>As far as I know, your translation of the second sentence would have been
>correct if the French original had been "Y a-t-il ...".
>"a-t-il" can mean "does he/it have..."
>

>>(...)
>>* * *
>>Example 2-3
>>
>>Original Text:
>>
>>"S'il est impossible que quelque chose se passe, a-t-il des cas où il est
>>possible qu'elle se passe?"
>>
>>(...)
>>Translating French > English  (google and Systrans again the same!)
>>
>>"If it is impossible that something occurs, does it have cases where it is
>>possible that it occurs?"
>>

>>(I'd translate the above, French > English, as "If it is impossible that
>>something will happen, are there cases where it is possible that it will
>>happen" but it's my French I'm translating so the original may not sound
>>perfectly native but I think it's o.k.)
>
>Same problem with "a-t-il" as above, AFAIK.
>Moreover, I can't make sense of "des cas où il est possible qu'elle se
>passe". What is "elle" ("she") supposed to refer to? I doubt that you can
>refer back to "quelque chose" by means of "elle" in the second clause, and
>that you can use "elle" with "se passer" if that verb is used in the sense
>of "to happen".

Yes, I agree now it does sound funny; but French is not my first languages

It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07