Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

Hi Frank, All,

At 21:14 14/04/2007, Frank Ellermann wrote:

>Peter Constable wrote:
>
> > The meaning of zxx must be interpreted in terms of the coding standard
> > of which it is a part. ISO 639 is explicitly about coding human
> > languages. ?No linguistic content? in the case of zxx means ?no
> > content in any human language?. If a language tag must be applied to
> > something like ?ifdef DEBUG?, then the appropriate language subtag
> > would be zxx.
>
>Okay, that's very important for Mark's table, Richard's aricle, and
>IMO it deserves a comment for "zxx" in the language subtag registry:
>
>art   = artificial human language, no programming language
>zxx   = no linguistic content wrt. human languages, but it can be a
>         programming language

Then what is a screen reader (or a text-to-speech program used by a dyslexic
user) supposed to do with the "zxx"?
Why couldn't I write XHTML code like the one below?

<!-- ... -->
<code xml:lang="en">
         System.out.println("<span xml:lang="fr">bonjour le monde!</span>");
     }
}
</code>
Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
K.U.Leuven - Departement of Electrical Engineering - Research Group