Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

Kent Karlsson wrote:

> da.xml: <language type="und">Sproget kan ikke bestemmes</language>
> de.xml: <language type="und">Sprache nicht ermittelt</language>
> it.xml: <language type="und">lingua imprecisata</language>
> sv.xml: <language type="und">obestamt sprak</language>

For the German version I'd say that's "language not identified".

> Perhaps those ones should be retranslated not to refer to language,
> **if** "und" may apply also to "maybe not in any language".

I don't understand *_why_* anything about it should be changed.

If the process to identify / determine a language failed so far,
the final outcome can be still "no language at all", i.e. "zxx".

And that's precisely what Richard needs for those cases where an
empty string is (still) syntactically invalid, as in XHTML 1.0.

  Our sole example of pure Black Speech, then, is the inscription
  on the Ring: <q lang="und" xml:lang="und"> Ash nazg durbatulūk,
  ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.</q>
  "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,  One Ring to
  bring them all and in the Darkness bind them." (LotR1/II ch. 2)

John would likely have better ideas to tag this, but Richard's
article is for ordinary users.

Frank