Re: Internationalization--Working Draft

Hi, Najib, I am not a native speaker of French; but I do read it fluently;
I think there are various possible translations into French;
there are still about three or four errors I must correct I just noticed;
the curly brackets mark an alternate way to say something
(ultimately I need to make a decision and get all the curly brackets out)

>Hello,
>
>CE Whitehead wrote:
>>

>>Hi,
>>
>>If there is anyone out there who would like to read R. Ishida's
>>"Internationalisation" ("Best Practices in Internationalization . . . ")
>>working draft in French (I realize that both Najib and Stephane read
>>almost as well in English as I do probably,  but if there is anyone who
>>prefers to read in French;
>>
>I understand French very well, et speak it much better than English. I am
>then a potential candidate to review the French translation, and I would
>have done it voluntarily. But I believe that it would be difficult for me
>to make remarks without retranslating most of the text.

Feel free to translate any section you want of the remaining ones (6, 7,
8)--if you feel there is a need for such a translation; I can go back over
section five this week so you do not need to for now;
but don't waste your time at it--unless you think it would help you with
your technical English, which is not bad.

>As an example: (refering to your link
>http://www.geocities.com/quaiouestenglish/w3c/Ishida_International_fr.html#ri20030510.102829377)
>
>1- Original English: "Always declare the default text-processing language
>of the page using attributes on the html tag, unless the intended audience
>uses multiple languages".
>
>My translation (understanding) in French: "On doit toujours déclarer la
>langue par défaut pour traiter le texte de la page en utilisant les
>attributs de la balise HTML, à moins que l'audience prévue n'utilisent
>plusieurs langues."
or ne parle
why not "spectateur"??

>Yours translation
{"Your translation"; "your book"; or "that book of yours"; or "that is
yours"}
: "On déclare toujours {un valeur par défaut pour}
>la langue principale de traitment de texte en se servant des attributs qui
>se mettent dans la balise html, sauf au cas où il s'agit de plusieurs
>langues-spectatrices."

I left off "doit" because I feel it's sort of understood particularly in
French, moreso than in English.  I'm sure of that.

So, you say "langue pour traiter le texte" and not "de traitement de texte"?
thanks; as I was not at all sure of how to best phrase that
(I live in the U.S.; I can go online to check technical French but I am not
sitting here in a technical French environment)

* * *
those attributes are not just used in the balise html but in all the
balises, so I said "qui se mettent dans"
but maybe "les attributs de la balise html" is more normal

"prevu" is probably better than "vise" for a spectateur (audience???; I thin
spectateur is fine)
vise is right for "une page visee", that is, "par un lien" (by a link).

I'll try "prevu" and also "langue pour traiter le texte"

(I lived in France briefly, twice, the first time six months; I worked in
the grape harvest and illegally as a maid also and got along fine in French,
I also took French in high school, did a minor in Romance languages with
French emphasis as an undergrad, and then a minor also in grad school; I had
French friends when I was in France, also when I was in Quebec, but I was
only in Quebec a short while;-
and these are about all my credentials for translating into French;
I actually prefer French to English but see the need for English as far as
money goes,
and it and not French is my first language)

Thanks very much for your comments; sorry I could not help then;
I hope my other translation
http://www.geocities.com/quaiouestenglish/Creezunhabitatweb

is better--
two of my former French teachers looked at it (one is American actually but
one is a bilingual-binational though not a really technical person; in fact
they had praise) and neither had any criticism though I did find one or two
technical things wrong myself--that I hope I've fixed.

If that "Advanced HTML" translation is no good, or has problems, let me
know; that is the main one I have posted and I think it is fine (alas, HTML
has nothing to do with this list!  so no need to look at it, but comments
are welcome; I want it to be useful too).

Thanks.

Sincerely,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com