From: www-international-request@w3.org
[mailto:www-international-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Richard Ishida
Sent: 01 April 2007 14:59
To: 'WWW International'
Subject: New web app: Searching for language subtags

You may find this of interest.  It's purely a personal project.

http://people.w3.org/rishida/utils/subtags/

http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/?p=90 says:

This tool allows you to search for tags that have, say, 'french' in
their description (there are currently 11), or to find out what that
mysterious 'ch' tag stands for (there are 2 possibilities). Or you can
simply list all current language tags, or script tags, or variants, etc.

For months I've been wanting to write a small, Web-based tool for
finding things in the subtag registry without having to work on the (for
many people, intimidating) raw text file on the IANA site.

Tom Gruner created an initial tool for pretty printing the IANA list,
which handled enough of the basics to allow me to use the little time I
have these days to add the search functionality on top.

If you have JavaScript running, you are shown just the tags and
descriptions initially, but by clicking on those you can reveal all
additional information in the registry for a given tag. I also highlight
tags that are deprecated, so you can see that straight away.

(PS: Some final tweaks to the code will come when I have a spare moment
for things like making the expanding list more accessible, etc.)

RI

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/

This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information company.

except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Limited.

Reuters Limited is part of the Reuters Group of companies, of which Reuters Group PLC is the ultimate parent company.
Reuters Group PLC - Registered office address: The Reuters Building, South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5EP, United Kingdom
Registered No: 3296375
Registered in England and Wales