Re: FW: ban the use and implementation of UTF-7

Misha Wolf wrote:
> It seems completely unnecessary given the now ubiquitous use of 8-bit
> clean transports and the presence of UTF-8, which IIRC was defined
> long after UTF-7.  However, the wider community may be aware of
> some reason why browsers should support it, so I'd like to hear
> your comments.

I somewhat suspect that browsers support UTF-7 due to either:
1. The necessary transcoding is done by a library or OS service and
UTF-7 is one of the charsets the library gives you, so coding for one
codes for all.
2. The necessary transcoding is done by a charset nerd. S/he really
likes charsets. UTF-7 is yet another they can add to their work and
hence feel that bit more complete.