Re: rfc4646. Some analysis code

On Tuesday, November 7, 2006, 8:25:59 PM, John wrote:

JC> "Grandfathered" is a semantic concept (the meaning of the tag cannot be
JC> deduced from its parts); "irregular" a syntactic one (the tag cannot be
JC> parsed into parts using the regular parsing algorithms).  All irregular
JC> tags are grandfathered, but not all grandfathered tags are irregular.
JC> Unfortunately this distinction was not clarified until after 4646 was
JC> published.

Well said and a useful clarification.

Does that mean (since cel-gaulish was not on your irregular list, and also given that cel is a registered tag and gaulish is five-to-eight letters) that I can now write things like

cel-GRK-gaulish

to describe, say a gaulish legend on a coin, written in ancient greek script?

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG