------------------------------------
From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 17:33:18 CST
------------------------------------
fantasai <fantasai dot lists at inkedblade dot net> wrote:

> ... Kobayashi Tatsuo and I looked
> through the Unicode repetoire last week, and we found
> U+FE45 SESAME DOT
> U+FE46 WHITE SESAME DOT
> which covers only two of the shapes. Also, they are in the
> compatibility forms block, so their use is discouraged.

I might have missed something, but I thought I remembered Asmus and
others stating clearly that there was no correlation between the block
where a character resides and whether that character is discouraged.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA

------------------------------------
From: Ken Lunde (lunde@adobe.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 08:09:36 CST
------------------------------------
All,

In the Adobe-Japan1-x character collection, we map U+FE45 and U+FE46
to CIDs 12639 and 12640, respectively. In other words, we provide
separate glyphs than the punctuation marks they resemble. These
glyphs are intended for use as annotative marks, such as ruby. In
fact, the range of glyphs intended for annotative use are intended to
be scaled to a smaller size, typically 50% for text runs.

Regards...

-- Ken