Re: Hindi Alphabetic Bulleting in CSS3 (Indian Languages)

On Thursday, May 18, 2006, 3:55:33 AM, Martin wrote:

MD> At 17:15 06/05/17, Jose wrote:

MD> This is great information! However, can you please make sure
MD> you send these files labeled as UTF-8 (because they are encoded
MD> in UTF-8, which is nice). Currently, the server says they are
MD> iso-8859-1, which is of course wrong.

MD> Also, I had problems looking at the Tamil page both in Opera 9.5
MD> (shows only one or two random characters) and in Firefox
MD> (shows source). In IE, this showed up reasonably well.
MD> I haven't found the reason for why the Malayalam page displays
MD> but the Tamil page doesn't. But if you find anyhthing,
MD> please fix it.

I found what it was.

Both pages are invalid, so that isn't it. Both are served as ISO-8859-1 charset, but are in fact in a different encoding, so that isn't the difference either. Both are in quirks mode.

The difference is that the Malayam page is in UTF-8 and starts

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Malayalam Bulleting List</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=content-type content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

and the Tamil page is in UTF-16 and starts

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Malayalam Bulleting List</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=content-type content="text/html; charset=unicode">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>

in fact I could not even copy and paste from the 'view source' in the Tamil page :). But its the non-existent charset of 'unicode' that makes the difference, it seems.

This is *not* a font problem. Its a page encoding and markup problem.

I attach a corrected version (in utf-8).

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG