Re: bidi discussion list was: Bidi Markup vs Unicode control characters

At 17:11 05/08/10, Tex Texin wrote:

 >I prefer nesting of xml elements to reflect the semantic relationship of
 >the elements.

Me too!

 >That is not necessarily the same as the presentation relationships.

Not necessarily, but with extremely high probability. Can you provide
a reasonable counterexample?

 >Also the relationship between runs is not always to embed (or pop) a
 >level. Sometimes there will be sibling relationships, which to maintain
 >presentation ordering will need some sequencing attributes.

Could you give an example? That would make it easier to immagine
what you are speaking about.

 >(All in all,
 >I think I prefer control codes for all of this. ;-) )

In more than 99%, to be very conservative, the bidi embeddings/overrides
correspond to logical document structure. Using control codes would
only create a mess. There remains the issue of attributes, but
a) control codes in attributes are well isolated and don't interfere
    with markup
b) putting running text in attributes is a bad idea for many other reasons

Regards,    Martin.